Archives: AP Suburb Profile

Beechworth

Beechworth was first settled by grazier David Reid and was originally known as Mayday Hills until 1853. When the Post Office first opened on 1 May 1853 it was known as Spring Creek and was finally renamed Beechworth on 1st January 1854. From 1852 – 1857 Beechworth was a major gold prospecting town and centre

Chiltern

Originally known as Black Dog Creek the township of Chiltern was first surveyed in 1853 but not settled until the gold rush of 1853. The Post Office opened on 1 September 1859 and today a large number of Chiltern’s buildings have been classified by the National Trust. Chiltern is a town with a strong community

Rutherglen

Rutherglen was originally known as the Wahgunyah Rush and quickly evolved to become known as Barkly after the governor of the time Sir Henry Barkly. As a town name ‘Barkly’ did not last long and the town was eventually named Rutherglen, after the home town in Scotland of John ‘Seven Star’ Wallace, the local publican

Stanley

Located in the foothills of the Victoria Alps Stanley is well known for its diverse range of flora, fauna and fine local produce with seasonal crops of berries, cherries, apples, walnuts and chestnuts throughout the year. The town boasts a strong and progressive local community with many beautiful gardens and scenic drives. There is a

Wooragee

In the early days Wooragee was part of a run known as “Reids Run”. “Reids Run” joined “Mackays Run” one point of the boundary being at the huge rocks known as the “Three Sisters” near Woolshed. “Reids Run” extended through Wooragee to the gap leading out of the basin. And during the gold rush days

Yackandandah

Yackandandah is one of the jewels within Indigo with its wide tree lined streets, welcoming locals and close proximity to the regional hub of Albury/Wodonga. The area of Yackandandah was first mentioned when Hume and Hovell passed through the surrounding valleys in 1824 and soon after it was settled in 1837. Gold was discovered in

Enquiry Form